Sunday 16 September 2012

Our power to inspire

I regard inspiration as a very important but intangible asset in one’s life. Its potential to help one see possibilities, seek to achieve their dreams and do the things that have meanings for them, is often understated.
This week I received personal notes from two young people who read my recently published book (A Rural Boy’s Tale of Progress: Life Lessons from my Parents). One of them, reflecting on a chapter in the book entitled Failure is not Permanent, was moved enough to write and thank me for including that chapter in the book.  And because of the inspiration he got from what it says, he was moved enough to finish a project important in his life that he had ignored.
The other one said that after reading my book, she was totally moved to write hers.  She felt that the personal way I wrote my book, and what it reflects on, had opened a new window for her.  And then she told me the most important thing: that I must be happy that it has at least impacted one person.
This confirms to me that each one of us have the power to touch and inspire someone. I have used the book as a tool to do that, but there are many ways we can do this. Previously (see previous blog  entitled Creating breeds new energy), I wrote about the importance of creating. Inspiration has a direct relationship to it.
The Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary describes inspiration as “the process that takes place when somebody sees or hears something that causes them to have exciting new ideas or makes them want to create something…”. 
In order to create, we must be inspired. This may happen on its own, but more importantly, note that you have the power and ability and power to inspire other. Use it to trigger this important process.

Inspire other.  Change a life.  Be inspired.

Khwezi

No comments:

Post a Comment